Use the following instructions to replace the cartridge in Shure SM87 condenser microphones.
- Remove the microphone grille by unscrewing it in a counter-clockwise direction.
- Using tweezers or small needle-nosed pliers, grasp the pin at the end of the green lead and gently unplug it from the cartridge. Next, unsolder and remove the blue lead from the terminal on the cartridge.
CAUTION: To prevent damage, use a soldering iron capable of generating no more than 40 watts of power.
- Remove the old cartridge by pulling off the rubber loops from the three shock-mount posts.
- Attach the pin of the green lead to the socket in the cartridge base. Solder the blue lead to the terminal on the cartridge.
- Install the new cartridge by slipping the rubber loops over the shock-mount posts.
IMPORTANT: Align the pin sockets as illustrated below.
IMPORTANT: Once you have installed the cartridge, take care to position the blue and green lead wires so they do not touch each other, the cartridge or any other part of the microphone. Otherwise, noise problems may occur.