The Shure Model R175 is a direct replacement cartridge for the Shure Model BETA 52 supercardioid dynamic instrument microphone. With proper installation, the R175 offers the same high–quality performance as the original cartridge. To install the R175 replacement cartridge in the BETA 52, proceed as follows:
- Unscrew and remove the screen and grille assembly, see Figure 1.
- Carefully remove the cartridge from the case.
- Using a Phillips head screwdriver, remove the screw holding the circuit board from inside of the case.
- Remove the circuit board from the case.
- Gently remove the yellow tape from the circuit board to expose the solder contacts.
- Unsolder and remove the YELLOW and GREEN lead wires of the old cartridge from the circuit board.
- Solder leads from the new cartridge to the circuit board: the YELLOW lead wire goes to contact W1, the GREEN lead wire goes to contact W2.
- Replace the tape over the newly soldered contacts.
- Place the circuit board back inside the case, topside down, so the board slides into the grooves at the back of the case.
- Using a Phillips head screwdriver, secure the circuit board to the case with the screw from Step 3.
- Carefully wind the YELLOW and GREEN lead wires around the back end of the cartridge to take up some of the excess slack.
- Insert the new cartridge in the case, making sure the TOP label on the face of the cartridge is aligned with the logo on top of the case. Be careful not to pinch the lead wires.
- Attach the screen and grille assembly.